The Journey

The journey is more important than the destination.

Several years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Fairlee Triathlon in Vermont. After training for three months, feeling like I was going to drown in the swim, feeling nauseus on the run, I crossed the finished line and was hooked.This led to my triathlon journey.

Please consider supporting my latest effort to raise money for Bretton Woods Adaptive through the Janus Charity Challenge at Ironman Lake Placid this July. Check out the Links I Like section of the blog or explore the BWA Fundraiser links.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Love the weather, hate the loss of daylight

It's been a good but challenging week of training. I was hiking this weekend up and around Mt. Cardigan (pictures to follow soon) and I started off the week already sore from the terrain. It was more challenging than I was expecting. Sleeping in a tent didn't help either.

I've had to rearrange the week's training because my 15th wedding anniversary is next weekend and I figure Amy wouldn't want me training all weekend while we are celebrating.

So last night I had to get in both a swim and a run, but it's getting dark pretty close to 8. So, I had Amy drop me off at Masters and swam from 6:30 to 7:30, then got on my running shoes and reflective vest and started the 7 mile run home. About 1/2 way into it I turned off of the main roads onto back country roads, with no street lighting, and no day light. Luckily I knew the roadsd and could tell roughly where I was but it was a little strange running in complete darkness, since I didn't bring a headlamp or any other lighting.

The upside - the temps were in the 60's, the air was crisp, dry and perfect for running. I'll have to plan a little better next time and make sure I have some lighting.

No comments: