The Journey

The journey is more important than the destination.

Several years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Fairlee Triathlon in Vermont. After training for three months, feeling like I was going to drown in the swim, feeling nauseus on the run, I crossed the finished line and was hooked.This led to my triathlon journey.

Please consider supporting my latest effort to raise money for Bretton Woods Adaptive through the Janus Charity Challenge at Ironman Lake Placid this July. Check out the Links I Like section of the blog or explore the BWA Fundraiser links.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Happy Birthday to me

I celebrated my birthday today with a track workout at UNH. It was a beautiful morning - low 40's, nice sunrise and I was all by myself on the track.

Did you ever see the movie Evan Almighty when Evan saw a message to him on an LED road sign? I thought I was having an Evan moment this morning.

I'm running around the track doing the intervals that my coach gave me and I see on the dark football scoreboard one of the LED lights lit up at full power. At first I thought it was a reflection from star or one of the spot lights around the field.

I didn't think the light could actually be on because I was all alone and why would anything be on the scoreboard at 5:30 AM? After a few more laps I see the light go off and on several times - very weird. It's my birthday, I'm still half asleep and suffering from oxygen debt during my intervals so maybe in some deep recess of my mind, I thought there was something going on with the scoreboard that wasn't random.

I kept watching as I made my loops, which was actually a good distraction that made the laps go by faster, but the scoreboard never lit up any more than that one light. Guess it wasn't a sign from God like Evan experienced. I guess it was just my birthday, I was half asleep and suffering from oxygen debt.

No comments: