The Journey

The journey is more important than the destination.

Several years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Fairlee Triathlon in Vermont. After training for three months, feeling like I was going to drown in the swim, feeling nauseus on the run, I crossed the finished line and was hooked.This led to my triathlon journey.

Please consider supporting my latest effort to raise money for Bretton Woods Adaptive through the Janus Charity Challenge at Ironman Lake Placid this July. Check out the Links I Like section of the blog or explore the BWA Fundraiser links.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

GSTC Group ride begins

Tuesday's workout was a Masters swim session. We normally don't quite finish the full workout in the hour practice. The yardage for a workout typically varies from 2,700 yards up to 3,200 yards. Ironically, with Tuesday's workout being 3,200 yards, it was one of the few workouts we've finished the entire thing. There was a lot of freestyle swimming which definitely helped and we also got started a few minutes early.

Evening workouts always make the next morning's workout more difficult. Wednesday was no exception. Yesterday morning I did a run of about 5.5 miles in just under 50 minutes. Then after work I met up with GSTC for the first Wednesday night club ride of the year. There was only four of us but it was nice to ride with a group, despite the 50 degree temp and stronger than expected winds. We got about 22 miles in about an hour and 15 minutes. We had some good hills and a pretty strong headwind for the first half of the ride that kept our speed way down. Two of the four were also new to the club so I think everyone wanted to make it more of a casual ride than a hammerfest. That certainly contributed to the slower pace.

After the ride I went on a run through college woods on my own. I don't usually enjoy afternoon runs but this one felt good. I think I planned my nutrition timing better yesterday which helped make the run more enjoyable. I ended up getting home around 8 last night, boiling a big serving of pasta and having it with my wife's homemade sauce which she had just finished making. After that I finished the meal off with a small serving of Ghiardelli dark chocolate chips (I tell myself I eat them for the antioxidants in dark chocolate ). Nice way to finish the day.

I was supposed to swim this morning but decided to get the extra rest. Tonight I have another ride scheduled which I'll be doing on my own and will be more of a workout than last night

No comments: