The Journey

The journey is more important than the destination.

Several years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Fairlee Triathlon in Vermont. After training for three months, feeling like I was going to drown in the swim, feeling nauseus on the run, I crossed the finished line and was hooked.This led to my triathlon journey.

Please consider supporting my latest effort to raise money for Bretton Woods Adaptive through the Janus Charity Challenge at Ironman Lake Placid this July. Check out the Links I Like section of the blog or explore the BWA Fundraiser links.

Friday, May 9, 2008

Cold wet weekend

I am just now getting around to writing about this past weekend's training because I've been sick for the past several days, probably because of the weekend training. On Saturday I did a three hour ride with temps in the mid-40's and intermittent rain drizzle for most of the ride.

I took a pretty hilly route from Durham out to Northwood and back in through Strafford, Rochester, Dover into Madbury. I did about 12 miles on Route 4 and after crossing over the Lee Traffic Circle it is a series of long steady climbs out to Northwood. Strafford, no matter where you go is hilly also. This helped keep me warm on the climbs but gave me the chills on the descents.

I felt good after the ride and spent the rest of the day taking it easy around the house.

Sunday had a 1:50 run on the schedule. The loop I took was just over twelve miles and I finished in just under 1:50. Again the temps were in the mid 40's with off and on showers. Running in these temps/conditions definitely beats cycling. I felt strong for the entire run and finished with some good mile times.

Here is where the mistake comes. I made plans to meet up with two friends from college over in Portsmouth. We had a great time and it was really good to catch up with them, however, training in the cold and rain for five hours in two days followed by a few pints of Guiness at The Press Room is not the ideal recovery regimen.

Monday morning I had a tickle in my throat and by Tuesday night it had developed into a full head cold. As a result I haven't gotten any training in this week. I'm feeling better today but decided to give it one more day before getting back on the training track.

No comments: