The Journey

The journey is more important than the destination.

Several years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Fairlee Triathlon in Vermont. After training for three months, feeling like I was going to drown in the swim, feeling nauseus on the run, I crossed the finished line and was hooked.This led to my triathlon journey.

Please consider supporting my latest effort to raise money for Bretton Woods Adaptive through the Janus Charity Challenge at Ironman Lake Placid this July. Check out the Links I Like section of the blog or explore the BWA Fundraiser links.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Catching up

After three weeks of blowing my nose, shooting phlem out of my nostrils on rides and runs and coughing that same phlem up each morning....I'm finally feeling close to 100%. Thankfully, I've been able to get back to a normal training schedule over the past we and a half.

The one shortfall I am still finding is during swimming, my left shoulder has a twinge on the recovery part of my stroke. I first felt the twinge about four weeks ago attempting to do the butterfly stroke. Big mistake. I've never had any formal coaching for the stroke, only watching other people at Masters. After that first time, I took two weeks off, but to no avail. After 15 minutes of swimming at Masters the pain returned. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning. I have about 2,500 yards on the schedule for tomorrow.

The last week has held some good workouts. Saturday consisted of a 50 mile ride on a beautiful warm spring day. I went out with Paul and Kate for the first 90 minutes and then Paul and I did the rest of the ride on our own.

Sunday was a 90 minute run. My legs felt pretty heavy for most of the run which was concerning me because my coach had me doing the last 30 minutes at 80% - 85%. But by the time I got to the one hour mark I was feeling pretty good and was able to go pretty hard for the last 1/2 hour.

While I was planning to ride on Memorial Day just because it was a nice day, the day just didn't allow for it and I spent some quality time with the family and good friends. Our GSTC group ride is on the schedule for tomorrow night. It is supposed to be nice night so I'm looking forward to the ride.

No comments: