The Journey

The journey is more important than the destination.

Several years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Fairlee Triathlon in Vermont. After training for three months, feeling like I was going to drown in the swim, feeling nauseus on the run, I crossed the finished line and was hooked.This led to my triathlon journey.

Please consider supporting my latest effort to raise money for Bretton Woods Adaptive through the Janus Charity Challenge at Ironman Lake Placid this July. Check out the Links I Like section of the blog or explore the BWA Fundraiser links.

Monday, April 28, 2008

On a training roll

I really feel like I'm in the depths of spring training. I've been regularly getting 5-6 hours of training in on the weekend, I'm exhausted on Sunday night, and Mondays are tougher to get up. I finished up the week with just under 11 hours of training.

After the long run I wrote about on Friday, I had a 2 hour 45 minute ride scheduled for Saturday. I was able to connect up with a buddy for that ride and we left my house around 7am. At the time the temp was around 40 degrees and I was dressed for a warm ride, booties, hat, double gloves, etc.

After about two hours the temp was in the low to mid 50's and I was way overdressed.

We ended up doing a little over 54 miles in about 3 hours with some challenging rollers and hills along the way. I was supposed to also swim on Saturday but the family schedule wouldn't allow it with lacrosse practice for my son, a fundraiser at my wife and son's school and delivering my son to a sleepover.

Sunday morning was a drag. I didn't get to bed until after midnight on Saturday and there was a GSTC training scheduled for 9am. I almost didn't go. Apparently the rest of the club was thinking the same thing and decided not to go. There was only seven of us and I was dragging for most of the morning.

We started out with a 2700 yard swim. I did start to feel a little better after getting a few hundred laps, but then I started to really drag for the balance of the swim. We transitioned out to the track at UNH. By this point it had started to rain and it was feeling pretty raw out. Once we finished a warm up run through college woods I was feeling comfortable, until Suzan gave me my track workout for the day.

It consisted of 2-400's, 4-800's, and 8-200's all at a 7 minute per mile pace with a 200 meter jog between each rep. While I was able to keep the correct pace through the first 800, after that it started to deteriorate rapidly.
By the end I was about ready to collapse but there is no rest for the weary. After a quick recovery meal when I got home I was off to pick up my son from his sleepover, grocery shopping, making dinner, etc, etc, etc.
Work will seem like a break after this past weekend!
(As you'll see I'm trying to add more pix to enrich the content, let me know what you think!)

No comments: