The Journey

The journey is more important than the destination.

Several years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Fairlee Triathlon in Vermont. After training for three months, feeling like I was going to drown in the swim, feeling nauseus on the run, I crossed the finished line and was hooked.This led to my triathlon journey.

Please consider supporting my latest effort to raise money for Bretton Woods Adaptive through the Janus Charity Challenge at Ironman Lake Placid this July. Check out the Links I Like section of the blog or explore the BWA Fundraiser links.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Family dinner

Tonight was a good night.  I've had a workout scheduled both morning and night all week.  Last night was what I would call a character building run.  It was 10 miles, and I couldn't get started until about 6:15, after a day of work and after a short morning run.

My afternoon runs are rarely great, I tend to feel bloated and just not smooth. Last night was no different.  Add this to the necessity of a headlamp about 30 minutes into at 90 minute run and it made me ask myself more than once why I was doing this. It's a whole different experience running at night with a headlamp and all you can see is the 10 feet in front of you. I was on back country roads for most of the run which made this all that much more true.  Being able to see where you are going and experience the environment around you is a much more enjoyable experience.

This morning was a 1 hour bike, which of course I had to do on the trainer because sunrise isn't until about 6:30 now.  But, after that I was done which gave me the time to have a nice sit down dinner with Amy & Connor.  On most nights when I'm home right after work with no workout to do, eating together is a rare occasion usually reserved for Sunday nights.  Connor usually eats before I get home leaving Amy and I to eat while we stand up in the kitchen making separate meals and sharing our days (which I have to say the I also enjoy very much, even after 15 years of marriage!).

So, Amy, Connor & I talked about everything and nothing, but we did it together all at the same time at the same table.  It was a good night.

No comments: