The Journey

The journey is more important than the destination.

Several years ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Fairlee Triathlon in Vermont. After training for three months, feeling like I was going to drown in the swim, feeling nauseus on the run, I crossed the finished line and was hooked.This led to my triathlon journey.

Please consider supporting my latest effort to raise money for Bretton Woods Adaptive through the Janus Charity Challenge at Ironman Lake Placid this July. Check out the Links I Like section of the blog or explore the BWA Fundraiser links.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

3:30 on the trainer - UGH!

My brother got married this past weekend (another post on that later) and that meant I was limited in my scheduling for the long ride and run on the schedule.


I was able to get up on Sunday morning (after being the Best Man at Jon's wedding and dancing most of the night) to get a 12 mile run in. I actually felt better than I expected with the humid weather and hills that were on the route I had chosen. But, the rain started to fall about a 1/2 hour in it kept me comfortable for the rest of the run.


The real challenge was the 3 hour 45 minute brick I had to fit in. With the schedule I had I couldn't do it until Monday afternoon after a 2-hour drive from Hanover. There were thundershowers expected most of the afternoon so I was left with a choice - chance it on the roads with the heavy rain and potential lightning, or ride on the trainer for 3 1/2 hours. I had a couple of movies from Netflix so I opted for the indoor session. It was the 2nd longest ride on the trainer, the longest I have ever done was four hours while training for Ironman Lake Placid in '06.


Definitely an exercise in mental toughness, and on top of it all I did a short 15 minute run! Here's hoping for the payoff on race day at Patriot.

No comments: